This release brings new features, enhancements, and bug fixes to Dataverse. Thank you to all of the community members who contributed code, suggestions, bug reports, and other assistance across the project!
Dataset Level Explore Tools
Tools that integrate with Dataverse can now be launched from the dataset page! This makes it possible to develop and add tools that work across the entire dataset instead of single files. Tools to verify reproducibility and allow researchers to compute on an entire dataset will take advantage of this new infrastructure.
Dataverse now allows installation administrators to configure the session timeout for logged in users using the new
:LoginSessionTimeout setting. (Session length for anonymous users has been reduced from 24 hours to 10 minutes.) Setting this lower will release system resources as configured and will result in better performance (less memory use) throughout a Dataverse installation.
Dataverse and Dataset pages have also been optimized to discard more of the objects they allocate immediately after the page load. Thus keeping less memory permanently tied up for the duration of the user's login session. These savings are especially significant in the Dataverse page.
Major Use Cases
Newly-supported use cases in this release include:
- As a user, I can launch and utilize external tools that allow me to work across the code, data, and other files in a dataset.
- As a user, I can add a footer to my dataverse to show the logo for a funder or other entity.
- As a developer, I can build external tools to verify reproducibility or allow computation.
- As a developer, I can check to see the impact of my proposed changes on memory utilization.
- As an installation administrator, I can make a quick configuration change to provide a better experience for my installation's users.